How to Apply for the C11 Entrepreneur Work Permit

By Ella Bergquist October 8, 2021 (Updated October 14, 2021) 1 min. read
C11 Work Visa Canada

Obtaining a work permit is frequently the first step in getting permanent residence in Canada. If you’re an entrepreneur or self-employed person wanting to work in Canada and eventually become a permanent resident, the C11 entrepreneur work visa is an option to explore. In this post, we will go over all you need to know about the Canadian C11 work visa.

The International Mobility Program (IMP) in Canada has paved the way for Canadian companies to hire temporary employees from all over the world without having to worry about the Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Another LMIA exemption, known as “C11,” is available through the same IMP scheme. Entrepreneurs and self-employed persons can use exemption code C11 to apply for a work permit that does not need LMIA.

The C11 work permit is primarily for two categories of enterprises. The first category consists of entrepreneurs who wish to enter Canada on a temporary basis in order to pursue their business goals and careers. The second category applies for the C11 work visa as part of the permanent residency program for entrepreneurs or self-employed people.

With your C11 entrepreneur work visa, whether you want a short stay or permanent residency, you must show the immigration officer that:

  1. You are the owner of a business or a self-employed person with a strong business strategy and resources.

2. The business/venture/self-employed gig you operate has the potential to provide significant economic, social, and cultural benefits to Canadians.

Types of Businesses Eligible for the C11

Applying for Permanent Residence after C11 Work Permit

By default, the IMP C11 work visa does not lead to permanent residency. In actuality, dual-purpose for permanent residency is restricted to the following immigration possibilities at the moment:

Despite the limits on dual-purpose, an applicant who moves to Canada via this program and works for at least one year can apply through the Express Entry system under the Federal Skilled Worker program category.