To see our website filtered by a specific destination, select the country: You are viewing content related to . To view a specific destination, . To view a specific destination, click here

Applying for Outland Spousal Sponsorship in Canada

You already know that it’s a great place to live, now you can bring the person you love to Canada to enjoy your life here with you. With outland spousal sponsorship, you can still sponsor your spouse even if they aren’t currently with you in Canada.

Interested in moving to Canada?
Fill out our immigration assessment form today.

The Outland Spousal Sponsorship stream of the family sponsorship program allows a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to sponsor their spouse or common-law partner for Canada PR, regardless of where they are currently living.

The outland spousal sponsorship pathway gets its name because it is most suitable for sponsoring spouses who are residing outside Canada. However, it has been made possible for the spouse or common-law partner who is residing inside Canada to apply through this program. This is because the program allows the sponsored person to travel in and out of Canada as they please during the application processing time. It will be up to the Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC, formerly CIC) whether to allow the person to re-enter Canada once the person has exited.

Looking to sponsor your spouse who is already living in Canada? Learn more about Inland Spousal Sponsorship!

You can expect your spousal sponsorship application to take anywhere from 12 to 36 months to process. The COVID-19 pandemic affected these processing times.

Who is Eligible for Outland Spousal Sponsorship?

In order to sponsor their spouse, the petitioner must prove:

  • They are legally a citizen or permanent resident of Canada
  • They are at least 18 years old
  • Can provide the basic needs for spouse including food, clothing, and shelter
  • Can support their spouse financially, and
  • Can ensure that their spouse does not need financial help from the Canadian government

The spouse, conjugal or common-law partner must be at least 18 years old and must have medical, and criminal background checks. You two together must also prove that the relationship is legitimate snd genuine.

Spousal Sponsorship Process

Step 1: Obtain the Application Package

This package includes a document checklist, forms for you and your spouse, and instructions. Read the instructions carefully before beginning and double-check that you are eligible to sponsor. Fill out the application for you and have your spouse fill out their application. 

Step 2: Gather Your Supporting Documents

One of the most important steps to your spousal sponsorship application is gathering all the correct supporting documents. These documents will include:

  • passport and identification
  • proof of marriage certificate
  • supporting documents to prove your relationship is legitimate
  • proof of income 
  • biometrics (if needed)
Step 3: Pay Your Application Fees

These fees will be for processing the applications for you and the person you are sponsoring, the right of permanent residence fee and the biometrics fee. In certain cases, there may be fees for a medical exam or police certificate.

Step 4: Submit Your Application

There are mailing instructions included in the application guide. Your application will be returned to you if pieces are missing or the fees have not been paid.

Step 5: Send Any Additional Documents

Once you have sent in your application, you will be contacted about submitting additional documentation. This might include biometrics, medical exams or police certificates. 

Applying for an inland spousal sponsorship is a long, complex, and involved process, and it's important to complete your application correctly. We are experts at handling inland and outside Canada spousal sponsorships and we want to help you! We have helped thousands of foreign nationals successfully remain in Canada through spousal sponsorships working with families wanting to live together in Canada. Book a consultation to get started!