Interested in Immigrating to Canada from Pakistan?
Immigration from Pakistan to Canada began in the early 1900s, and continued in small numbers throughout the 20th century. Following the 1976 revision of the Immigration Act, immigration from Pakistan increased, and between 2001 and 2011 the Pakistani immigrant population increased from 79,315 to 156,860. Pakistanis are now one of the largest foreign-born population groups in Canada, most being Punjabis, Kashmiris, Sindhis, Balochis, or Muhajirs.
Pakistani Community in Canada
Today, Pakistani Canadians are largely immersed in Canadian society, having integrated well into a wide range of professions. This is in part due to the wide use of English in Pakistan, decreasing the language barrier upon arrival in Canada. Still, many Pakistanis in Canada are able to maintain close ties to Pakistan, and are involved in various Pakistani-Canadian organizations. Pakistani cuisine has also gained immense popularity throughout Canada. The largest number of Pakistani immigrants in Canada settle in Ontario, followed by smaller yet still significant populations in Alberta, Quebec, and British Columbia.
To become a Canadian permanent resident, one must choose and submit an application based on eligibility. An applicant may be eligible to immigrate as worker, as a refugee, or be sponsored by family members already in Canada. Depending on your eligibility and reason for migration, you may choose to immigrate through a variety of programs.
Skilled workers may apply for permanent residency through Express Entry, which includes the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program, Canadian Experience Class, or Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP). You may also be eligible to immigrate as an investor or through a start-up visa. Upon arrival in Canada, organizations such as the Canada Pakistan Professionals Association provide support and guidance to Pakistani students and professionals in achieving success in Canada. Speaking to an immigration specialist is also helpful in determining eligibility, as well as which economic immigration program is right for each individual.
Having a spouse, parent, grandparent, or child in Canada may increase the chance of a successful immigration process. Immigrants with family members in Canada may be sponsored by a relative who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. Speak to an immigration specialist to learn more about your eligibility.
Useful Resources for Pakistani Immigrants in Canada
- Pakistan Canada Association is an organization that was founded in 1963 to promote the interests and culture of the dynamic Pakistani Canadian community, while being a vibrant participant in Canadian society.
- The Committee of Progressive Pakistani-Canadians (CPPC) is a non-profit organization committed to the "ideal of Canada and Pakistan as pluralistic, socialist democracies with strong structural and institutional guarantees for protection of all persons irrespective of their age, domicile, ethnicity, gender, language, political opinion, race, religious belief, sexual orientation, physical or mental handicaps and challenges, immigration or refugee status, and, Socio-economic status or class."
- The Canada Pakistan Professionals Association (CPPA) was formed in 2012 by a group of young professionals with the goal of providing career guidance and support to Pakistani students and professionals in Canada. Their aim is to ensure members achieve success in their professional fields, as well as develop as community role models.
- The High Commission of Canada in Pakistan may assist you in determining the best pathway for your immigration process.
- More information about the Canadian Embassy in Pakistan and how VisaPlace can assist you can be found here.
Call us today at 1.866.449.5904 for an assessment to see if you are eligible to move to Canada, or fill out our online assessment form.
I had an excellent experience with Visa place especially Lisa Inspektor. The associates were very professional and prompt in responses to your questions and the work they have been doing. I was able to get the amendments done in my immigration records without any delay. They are awesome. I greatly appreciate the work they have done. Thank you Visa place!!
This firm is top notch! They pulled together last minute to help me prepare for my TN visa application. They were patient, helpful and impeccably professional. Everything went smoothly, came off without a hitch & I was successful in my application. Highly recommended. Thank you VisaPlace!
These guys are awesome. We had an awesome opportunity to work with Lisa Inspektor who remained very patient and provided very valuable and professional input and reviews through out my Visa application process. It is because of them that I was able to visit Canada with my husband and we can't Thank Lisa and her team enough for their professional services. Highly recommended!!
As seen on