US Retirement Visa for Canadians? Can it be true?

At the moment, there is no retiree visa for the United States – although such a visa it would no doubt be very popular. As it stands now, Canadians who wish to spend time in the United States as retirees cannot stay there year-round. Retirement Visa for the US

Canadians who spend their winters in the United States – affectionately called “snowbirds”, are limited in the amount of time they can spend in the United States per year. Right now, they are only allowed to remain in the United States for six months of every year, whether they choose to stay in one big chunk or they choose to break it up into shorter trips. This is the maximum amount of time that Canadians can remain in the United States legally and without any kind of a visa. There are exceptions if they successfully apply for extensions of their status but the rule of thumb is six months.

This is not enough time for many Canadians, and the Canadian Snowbirds Association has been lobbying for an increase in the amount of time allowed in the United States for quite a long time.

New immigration reforms will allow Canadians to remain in the United States longer

Now, the U.S. Senate’s bipartisan immigration reform, if it were to become law, would allow Canadians to stay in the United States for eight months instead of six months.

However, a sponsor of the bill, Senator Chuck Schumer wants to introduce a nonimmigrant retiree visa that would allow Canadians to live in the United States all year if they owned at least $500,000 worth of property in the United States.

SnowBirds Rejoice!

This would be a great move for the United States and for Canadians, encouraging more Canadian tourism and boosting the economies of warmer states that welcome hundreds of thousands of Canadians every single year.


Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.