Retirement Immigration in the United States

Are you a Canadian who wants to retire in the United States? This is a common question among Canadian citizens who are looking for a place a little bit warmer to spend their golden years. However, there are restrictions as to whether you can retire in the United States or not. US retirement visa

In most cases, you must immigrate to the United States through traditional means if you wish to live in the United States permanently. But as a Canadian citizen, you may visit the United States for longer than other foreign nationals.

Being Snowbirds in the United States

Canadians who spend their winters in the United States are called “snowbirds”, and unlike other foreign nationals you may stay in the United States as a visitor for up to six months per year, all in one block or in several increments.

This is the maximum amount of time you can remain in the United States each year, and it is also the maximum amount of time you can remain outside of your home province or territory to retain your provincial health care.

Depending on your situation, you could require a visitor visa. 

As for those who wish to retire permanently to the United States, there are additional ways one can immigrate to the United States but they must apply under normal means. Some examples are applying for permanent residency through one of the immigration streams available such as family or spousal sponsorship, employer sponsorship or other means. In addition, there is always the possibility that you or your spouse may hold dual citizenship if you have a parent who was born in the United States, depending on the situation.

Do you want to retire in the United States? Give us a call, we can help you explore the different options that are available to you.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.