Reaching US Immigration Service for Information on US Visa and Immigration Applications

US Immigration phone numbers and contacting offices

Q. I have an application for a Spousal Petition (I-130) submitted to the National Visa Center. I have not heard from the NVC and I am unable to reach anyone at the US Immigration Services to find out about the status of my US Visa Application. What do I do?

A. Reaching US Immigration for answers about your US Visa or Immigration case has always been a problem. You are dealing with a huge bureaucracy that is always changing in terms of departments, sub-departments, phone numbers, emails and websites. Navigating through the maze of the immigration system is a challenging and frustrating experience, even for us lawyers!

Ways to contact US Immigration Service

For Canadian citizens, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has created an inquiry mailbox for customers in Canada. Currently Canadians can’t access the National Customer Service Center through the 1-800 number to ask about general immigration questions. Canadians may now inquire about general immigration information by emailing their inquires at  They can also access the USCIS website at

The problem here is that these lines of inquiry yield only general information. Case-specific information is very hard to come by. For our clients, where necessary, we utilize information channels developed over many years of practicing US immigration law. In some cases, we request what is called a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)  that now comes in CD ROM format. FOIA requests are submitted in order to find about the inside-information about an applicant or their file. However, such requests can take a few months to get results.

I have always said that a large component of an immigration or visa application is dealing with the post-submission processing. Once the application is submitted to the various immigration departments, it is essential to keep track of them in the bureaucratic maze. Not always easy.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago