US Citizens Can Travel Back to US with Specific Expired Passports

By Casey May 27, 2021 (Updated May 28, 2021) 3 min. read

The United States government has stated that if you are currently overseas and your passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until December 31, 2021.

How Do I Qualify to Return to the US?

You do qualify for this exception if all the following are true:

You do not qualify for this exception if:

How Long Will It Take to Process My US Passport?

Currently, routine passport processing in the United States can take 10-12 weeks. If you need a passport in less than 10-12 weeks due to international travel plans, you can pay an additional $60 fee to expedite your passport, which will shorten the processing time to 4-6 weeks.

If your U.S. passport expired on or before December 31, 2019, please speak to an immigration professional for information on how to renew your passport before traveling.

How Do I Get Started?

All U.S. citizens should enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and ensure they can be located in an emergency.

Visit the Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Canada and refer to the U.S. Government website for the latest Alerts and Messages for U.S. citizens: Alerts and Messages.

Make sure you consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information related to COVID-19. For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations on the webpage mentioned above.

Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States. Be sure to check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.

It is recommended that you speak to an immigration professional in order to have the best chance in obtaining a new valid passport and returning to the United States. Please contact us at VisaPlace through the information we have provided below.

Are You Interested In Returning to the US with an Expired Passport?

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for VisaPlace Legal, an award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?

Fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.