E-2 visas for the United States

The E-2 United States visa is a highly coveted visa because it gives a work permit for those who can invest in a new or existing US business. Many foreigners love this idea and realize what a great opportunity it provides. The applicant must be from a Country that has a treaty with the United States. A list of these countries can be found here. Luckily, Canada is on the list!

On top of the requirement mentioned above, there are also other requirements to obtain the E-2 visa. An average you should be able to invest in a United States business is $100,000. This investment must be in a business and not something like a house purchase.

The business that you wish to invest in must be at least halfway owned by a foreign national from a treaty country, and your investment must make enough profit for that foreigner and their family to live on.

If this does not fit your situation, there is also the E-1 visa for treaty traders.

Do you want to work in the United States? Do you need specifics about the E-2 or E-1 visas? Do you want help with your application for either of these visas? Give us a call! We are an immigration law firm with more than 15 years experience helping people like you.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.