Canadians Working in the US: Occupation List
Can a Canadian Work in the US?
Yes indeed! While Canadians cannot just pack up and move to the US and work, there are several ways that Canadians can obtain a visa to legally work in the US.
The best option for a Canadian who wants to work in the United States may be a TN Visa. That’s because the TN Visa is fast and somewhat easier than with other visas. To begin, you’ll need a job offer from a US company.
Professions Covered by USMCA
Be aware though, that this job must appear on the USMCA (previously known as NAFTA) occupation list for a TN visa. Here are the occupations for a TN Visa:
The following list details all the professions which are eligible for a TN 1 Visa, as well as the education and/or qualifications required for each:
- Accountant – baccalaureate degree, C.P.A., C.A., C.G.A., or C.M.A.
- Engineer – baccalaureate degree or state/provincial license
- Agriculturist (including agronomist) – baccalaureate degree
- Animal Breeder – baccalaureate degree
- Animal Scientist – baccalaureate degree
- Apiculturist – baccalaureate degree
- Astronomer – baccalaureate degree
- Biochemist – baccalaureate degree
- Biologist – baccalaureate degree
- Chemist – baccalaureate degree
- Dairy Scientist – baccalaureate degree
- Entomologist – baccalaureate degree
- Epidemiologist – baccalaureate degree
- Geneticist – baccalaureate degree
- Geochemist – baccalaureate degree
- Geologist – baccalaureate degree
- Geophysicist (including Oceanographer in Mexico or U.S.) – baccalaureate degree
- Horticulturist – baccalaureate degree
- Meteorologist – baccalaureate degree
- Pharmacologist – baccalaureate degree
- Physicist (including Oceanographer in Canada) – baccalaureate degree
- Plant Breeder – baccalaureate degree
- Poultry Science – baccalaureate degree
- Soil Scientist – baccalaureate degree
- Zoologist – baccalaureate degree
- Research Assistant (working in a post secondary educational institution) – baccalaureate degree
- Medical/Allied Professional
- Physician (teaching and/or research only) – M.D., or state/provincial license
- Dentist – D.D.S., D.M.D., or state/provincial license
- Occupational Therapist – baccalaureate degree or state/provincial license
- Pharmacist – baccalaureate degree or state/provincial license
- Physio/Physical Therapist – baccalaureate degree or state/provincial license
- Recreational Therapist – baccalaureate degree
- Registered Nurse – state or provincial license
- Veterinarian – D.V.M., D.M.V., or state/provincial license
- Medical Technologist – baccalaureate degree of post secondary diploma and three years’ experience – must be seeking entry to perform chemical, biological, hematological, immunologic, microscopic, and bacteriological tests, procedures, experiments, and analysis in laboratories for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease
- Architect – baccalaureate degree or state/provincial license
- Lawyer – L.L.B., J.D., L.L.L., B.C.L., or Licencuature degree (five years) or membership in a state/provincial bar
- Technical Publications Writer – baccalaureate degree of post secondary diploma and three years’ experience
- College – baccalaureate degree
- University – baccalaureate degree
- Seminary – baccalaureate degree
- Technical Publications Writer – baccalaureate degree or post secondary diploma and three years’ experience
- Urban Planner – baccalaureate degree
- Vocational Counselor – baccalaureate degree
- Economist – baccalaureate degree
- Social Worker – baccalaureate degree
- Mathematician – baccalaureate degree
- Hotel Manager – baccalaureate degree or post secondary diploma and three years’ experience
- Industrial Designer – baccalaureate degree or post secondary diploma and three years’ experience
- Interior Designer – baccalaureate degree or post secondary diploma and three years’ experience
- Librarian – M.L.S. or B.L.S. (for which another baccalaureate degree was a prerequisite)
- Animal Breeder – baccalaureate degree
- Sylviculturist (including forestry specialist) – baccalaureate degree
- Range Manager (range conservationist) – baccalaureate degree
- Forester – baccalaureate degree, or state/provincial license
- Graphic Designer – baccalaureate degree, or post secondary diploma and three years’ experience
- Land Surveyor – baccalaureate degree or state/provincial/federal license
- Landscape Architect – baccalaureate degree
- Nutritionist – baccalaureate degree
- Dietician – baccalaureate degree or state/provincial license
- Computer Systems Analyst – baccalaureate degree, or post secondary diploma and three years’ experience
- Psychologist – state/provincial license
- Scientific Technician/Technologist must work in direct support of professionals in the following disciplines: chemistry, engineering, geology, geophysics, meteorology, physics, astronomy, agricultural sciences, biology or forestry must possess theoretical knowledge of the discipline must solve practical problems in the discipline must apply principles of the discipline to basic or applied research
- Disaster Relief Insurance Claims Adjuster – baccalaureate degree, or 3 years’ experience in the field of claims adjustment (admissible only when a disaster has been declared)
- Management Consultant – baccalaureate degree or 5 years’ experience in consulting or related field
If your job does not appear on this special list, you may still have options and be eligible for a work visa in the US – contact us at the form on the right to learn how you can still obtain a visa to work in the US.
Applying for a TN Visa at the Border
TN Visas can be applied for at the border. But, they must first be reviewed by an immigration officer at the border, who will determine on the spot whether you are eligible for a TN Visa – and it can be very inconvenient to be turned down at the border. That’s why you should ensure your application and all supporting documentation are error and omission free.
Are You Interested in Applying for a TN Visa?
If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.
Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.
Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?
Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.
The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.
The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.
I'll like to say I had an awesome initial consultation with Rania Abboud. She was knowledgeable, made the initial process easy and understood my situation. I am excited and hopeful to continue consulting this company. You do a great job for immigrants. Also, Natalie Walcz was great, she handled my situation professionally. Great team. Definitely assets to your company.
Completely smooth process. Rania did a great job in my Canada work permit. The team is absolutely competent and knowledgeable. Alicea was so amazing and was able to answer any of my questions immediately. I had peace of mind throughout the application. I would recommend them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications.
I highly recommend VisaPlace to anyone seeking help with navigating the legal minefield that is Permanent Residency. As someone who is very easily stressed, Lauren & Mariana have saved me a lot of sleepless nights. They are fast, efficient, reliable and honest and I will be telling any of my friends to use them for immigration. Thanks to them, my future with my husband in Canada is bright