Alberta’s New Pilot Program for Foreign Workers
Facing a severe labour shortage, Alberta has recently set up a temporary foreign worker pilot project to help employers hire highly skilled foreign workers in positions that cannot be filled by Canadians or permanent resident.
The Alberta FSW Pilot Program Objective
Launched in June 2011 under the Temporary Foreign Worker Annex to the Agreement for Canada-Alberta Cooperation on Immigration, the aim of the project to is grow the labour market in the province by allowing foreign nationals to come to Alberta in order to take part in a specific occupation.
Although the program was originally scaled to steamfitters and pipefitters, the program now includes welders, heavy duty equipment mechanics, and other highly skilled occupations to name of few.
Initial Job Offer Requirement
According to Citizenship, Immigration, and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney, temporary foreign workers who participate in the pilot program will be required to have an initial job offer from an Alberta employer or an employer acting on behalf of a recognized group of employers.
Objectives of the Requirement
- The goal of that requirement, according to Kenney, is to ensure protection of the Canadian labour market.
- In addition, the job offer must indicate that the wages being offered are consistent with the prevailing wages paid to Canadians or permanent residents in the same occupation in the region as well as proof that the working conditions meet the provincial labour market standards.
Applicants with Approval Letter
- Applicants who are in possession of an approval letter from Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AAIT) for an application in the program for one of the trades in the pilot and an job offer located in the province are eligible to apply between July 16, 2012 and July 31, 2013.
- If the application is approved, the foreign national will be given a one-year work permit which will allow them to be employed in a specific occupation for one employer prior to obtaining the appropriate provincial certification.
Applicants with Alberta Qualification Certificate
- Applicants who are in possession of an Alberta Qualification Certificate or trade certificate recognized in the province in one of the occupations listed in the pilot program and are currently employed or as a job offer from an Alberta employer may also apply between July 16, 2012 and July 31, 2013.
- If approved to participate in the program, these participants will be given a two-year occupation specific open work permit that will enable them to move between employers in the province provided they remain within the same occupation.
Applicants with Legal Assistance
Under the program, applicants who have sought the help of an immigration lawyer have better chances for approval. In most cases, the number of overseas workers who refused the help of a licensed immigration attorneys failed to accomplish the purpose.
Niren and Associates is an immigration firm that has over 15 years of experience in providing high quality of immigration services to countless clients. The firm has offices across the country and the United States.
The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.
Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.
The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.
I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it