Super Visa for Parents to be in Canada for new baby
Q. I want to apply for a Super visa. My Parents live overseas and I want them to come to Canada to be here for the birth of our baby. How can we get them here.
A. Parent and Grandparents can come to Canada under the Super Visa category. Below are the requirements.
To apply for the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa, you must:
- be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;
- be found admissible to Canada; and
- meet certain other conditions.
Note: You cannot include dependants in this application. Only your spouse or common-law partner is eligible to accompany you under this provision.
Visa officers consider several factors before deciding if a person is admissible. The person must be a genuine visitor to Canada who will leave by choice at the end of the visit. Among the things that could be considered are:
- the person’s ties to the home country;
- the purpose of the visit;
- the person’s family and financial situation;
- the overall economic and political stability of the home country; and
- an invitation from a Canadian host.
In addition to being found admissible to Canada, the parent or grandparent must also:
- provide a written commitment of financial support from their child or grandchild in Canada who meets a minimum income threshold;
- prove that they have bought Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year; and
- complete an Immigration Medical Examination.
About Michael Niren
Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more
The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.