Did you know that if you are a United States citizen or green card holder (lawful permanent resident of the United States), they can sponsor you or their other family members to the US?

Spousal Sponsorship in the USA

In order to sponsor someone to the United States, the sponsor must be either a United States citizen or a green card holder. They must also prove to the United States government that they can support you financially when you are in the US, because they are responsible for you.

These applications take very long to process, especially if the sponsor is only a permanent resident and NOT a US citizen.

How to apply to sponsor family to the USA

There are to ways of applying to immigrate to the USA depending on where you are right at the time of the application.

Consular Processing: If you are outside of the United States and remain outside of the United States, you could apply at your local American consulate where the application would then be forwarded to the US consulate for your sponsoring spouse.

2. Adjustment of Status: If you are inside of the United States with a legal status (such as being on a visitor visa, study visa or work visa) and then marry an American citizen, you can apply to adjust your status so you are allowed to remain in the United States while the spousal sponsorship application is being processed.

Family sponsorship petitions to the US are denied often, and they are not easy to apply for. In order to have the best chances of having a successful application, please contact our immigration law firm. Not only can we assess your case and give you a good idea of whether or not we think your application will be successful, we can help you prepare your spousal sponsorship application to eliminate the chance of it being denied due to an error or omission.

We have over fifteen years of experience in helping people immigrate to the United States. Contact us today! You won’t be disappointed.

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.