Are You Marrying a Canadian Citizen? Deportation May Be in the Cards…

Many people mistakenly think that marrying a Canadian citizen automatically grants them Canadian citizenship or permanent residence in Canada, but this is not the case. In fact, not properly following suit after you marry a Canadian citizen can result in your deportation from Canada.

Woman Being Deported From Canada After Living in Canada 15 Years

A Hamilton woman is facing deportation from Canada after making the mistake of not applying for permanent residence after marrying a Canadian citizen in 1997. Her non-immigration status was found out when she was applying for jobs and applied for a work permit. When the permit was denied, steps to have her deported from Canada began. The woman, Lucene Charles, applied to stay in Canada as a refugee and then under humanitarianmarrying-a-canadian-citizen-deportation and compassionate grounds – she has three Canadian sons living here – but was denied. Coincidentally, she was approved for a work permit later as Canada has a program that allows people to work and support themselves while their refugee status is sorted out. She is currently working and supporting her family on her own.

Charles’ marriage to the Canadian eventually fell apart and she has a daughter from another relationship – who is not Canadian and also falls under the deportation order. Her sons, between the ages of 11 and 14, would either stay behind of face a life of poverty in her native St. Vincent with her and her daughter, where Charles says women are considered “nothing”. The case has sparked public outrage across Canada. You can catch a rare glimpse into the perspective of someone facing deportation from Canada by watching this video, which is in Charles’ own words. According to the video, her biggest regret is not sorting out her permanent residency – because her abusive marriage would not allow it.

Looking for Permanent Residency in Canada?

If you marry a Canadian citizen, realize that you must apply for permanent residency in Canada in order to gain legal status. This can be done by having your spouse sponsor you as a part of the Family Class Immigration Stream. Contact us to learn about how VisaPlace can help you.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh3 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre3 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheonga month ago