Immigration to Canada through marriage

Marriage to a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada is one way to become a permanent resident of Canada yourself. Family reunification programs are an important part of the Canadian immigration system, because they allow families to reunite in Canada. This is especially vital to couples who want to live in Canada, including common-law spouses and conjugal partners. Spousal Sponsorship

Spousal sponsorship applications in Canada are under a high level of scrutiny, especially now that the Canadian government has launched an ad campaign against marriage fraud for immigration purposes. This is why it is especially important to ensure that you seek professional assistance with your spousal sponsorship application.

How can I qualify for spousal sponsorship?

In order to qualify to sponsor your spouse to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you will have to meet several requirements.
You must be a permanent resident of Canada or Canadian citizen and if you yourself were sponsored to Canada by a spouse (who you’ve since split from) you must wait five years to sponsor someone else.

You must also be over the age of 19 and be living in Canada with no problems such as being in prison, bankrupt or under a removal order.

One of the most primary components of the spousal sponsorship program is the “sponsorship” aspect. You must be able to show that you have the income to provide for your spouse and any of their dependents financially. You will also have to sign a sponsorship agreement with the government of Canada that states you will support your spouse, and this is a legally binding agreement. For instance, if your spouse were to abandon you and go on social assistance, you would be on the hook to repay it.

Spousal sponsorship is a wonderful program, but a few rare instances of marriage fraud have led to every one of these applications being much harder. Please contact us for assistance with your spousal sponsorship application – you’ll be glad you did!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • SGehan eldin Makhlouf

    I want to go to Canda to study English

    • Hello
      You can do that if you get a student visa or if your studies are less than 6 months, you may be able to come without one.


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago

Great firm on top of their game. Worked with us til the end to ensure my parents visa was approved and guided us along the way in a professional manor. Natalie is awesome. Majority of our communications were via email, but the responses were immediate. I would greatly recommend this firm. Thank you for all your hard work and help. My family and I do really appreciate it.

Daxesh Patel2 months ago

I am grateful for the legal services that I got from Sanaa and Alicea of Visa Place. I was impressed by their client centered approach. Their professionalism involved their hearts and heads to work on my case. I cannot compare the time they spent on it with the money I paid. All they wanted was a fine final document. I also liked their prompt communication. They are really passionate about what they do.

Theresie Nuwimanaa month ago