Immigrating to Canada via marriage

Marrying a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada is one way that someone can become a permanent resident of Canada. In order to achieve permanent resident status, the spouse will have to be sponsored by their Canadian or permanent resident spouse. Spousal Sponsorship

Unfortunately, spousal sponsorship applications are heavily scrutinized and applicants must be sure that they meet the requirements to sponsor their spouse (or conjugal partner, or common law partner) to come to Canada.

When you are considering applying for spousal sponsorship, speak with a licensed immigration lawyer before you get started. We can help you put together a solid application package that is just what the visa officers are looking for, along with ensuring that you are eligible for the process of spousal sponsorship.

What requirements do I have to meet to sponsor my spouse to Canada?

In order to sponsor your spouse to Canada, you must be over the age of 19 and be a permanent resident of Canada or a Canadian citizen.

You must also have the financial means to become a sponsor, which means having enough of an income to financially support your spouse when they come to Canada. There isn’t really a designated number, but you will need to sign a sponsorship agreement that holds you legally responsible for your sponsor.

Spousal sponsorship is an important program that allows for the reunification of families in Canada, but the applications themselves can be quite tricky. We have helped many people sponsor their spouses to Canada, and we can help you too. Simply give us a call at the number above or send us an email for assistance with your spousal sponsorship application. You’ll be glad you did!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.