Immigrating to Canada through marriage

Do you want to immigrate to Canada? Have you married a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, or you are planning on it? Spousal Sponsorship

Spousal sponsorship can lead to permanent residence if you meet the requirements to sponsor your spouse, conjugal partner or common-law partner to come to Canada.

However, these types of applications can be quite time-consuming and difficult because on rare occasions, people engage in fraudulent marriages in order to immigrate to Canada. This has resulted in a higher level of scrutiny on spousal sponsorship applications.

What do I need to sponsor my spouse to come to Canada?

Being a sponsor in Canada is a big responsibility, and you’ll need to make sure that you meet all of the requirements in order to become one. However, it is not always easy to understand what requirements you need to meet before you can become a sponsor, so consider speaking with a licensed immigration lawyer to determine whether you should apply.

First, sponsors in Canada must meet certain income level requirements that will ensure that they can support their spouse financially. They will also have to sign a sponsorship agreement which guarantees that they will be financially responsible for their spouse.

In addition to the financial requirements, sponsors will also have to be over the age of 19 and be permanent residents of Canada or Canadian citizens. They will also have to not be in prison, under a deportation order, or be bankrupt.

Spousal sponsorship in Canada can take several months or years, which is why it is a wise idea to have a licensed immigration lawyer on your side. This can help make the process much smoother and less stressful, while also ensuring that your application is done properly to not waste any time.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.