Immigration to Canada via marriage

Immigrating to Canada through marriage is called spousal sponsorship. The spousal sponsorship program in Canada is a great way for families to be reunited in Canada, whether they are married couples, conjugal partners or common-law spouses. Spousal Sponsorship

But the government of Canada has recently launched an ad campaign against immigration marriage fraud, and a few instances of immigration marriage fraud have meant that the government is tightening their rules regarding spousal sponsorship applications. If you want to sponsor a spouse to Canada, you should speak with a licensed immigration lawyer to make sure that you are eligible and that the process will go smoothly.

Qualifications to sponsor your spouse to Canada

Sponsors need to meet certain requirements in order to be able to sponsor their spouse to Canada. First, they must be at least age 19 and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident themselves. In addition, if they are a permanent resident who has been sponsored themselves, they must wait five years before they can sponsor someone else.

The person who is applying to sponsor their spouse needs to not be bankrupt, in prison, or under a deportation or removal order.

One of the most important requirements for the sponsor is that they are able to support their spouse financially. This means that they will have to demonstrate that they have enough of an income to be able to support their spouse and their children if they have any.
The Spousal Sponsorship program requires that the sponsor sign an agreement with the government that states they are responsible for their spouse.

In addition, new requirements state that the sponsored spouse will only have conditional permanent residence status when they immigrate to Canada if the couple is newly married, and that the sponsored spouse must remain living with their sponsor for two years after they arrive otherwise they could lose their status.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh3 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre3 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheonga month ago