How to renew your PR card in Canada

Permanent resident cards are government-issued identification given to Canadian permanent residents. Permanent residents are people who have immigrated to Canada permanently, but who are not yet Canadian citizens. They need to renew their permanent resident card every five years or they can run into problems because the permanent resident card is what allows permanent residents back into Canada after traveling abroad.  How to renew your permanent resident card 4

Citizenship and Immigration Canada recommends that you renew your card six months before it is set to expire so that you receive your new card in time.

Anyone who is renewing their permanent resident card must ensure that they are physically present in Canada and have been physically present in Canada for two of the last five years, otherwise they can experience problems with their application and may not be able to maintain their permanent residency status. If this applies to you, speak to an immigration lawyer.

Renewing your permanent resident card in Canada

Step 1: The immigration application for renewing your permanent resident card should be filled out completely with no blank spaces. If something does not apply to you, be sure to write “not applicable” in the space.

Step 2: Each application form comes with a document checklist that tells you what supporting documents you need to include in your application. Make sure that your documents are formatted properly and that they are all included.

Step 3: A licensed immigration lawyer can be your best resource when it comes to ensuring that your application has been formatted properly, and that there are no errors that could result in a denial. Speak with one about your application.

Step 4: Pay your fee for processing and submit your application. It’s recommended that you submit it via courier and retain a copy of the courier slip.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.