How to renew your permanent resident card in Canada

One of the most common questions we receive at our immigration law firm is how does someone renew their permanent resident card? Sometimes called a PR card, the permanent resident card is a card held by permanent residents in Canada that must be renewed every five years. There is a specific procedure for renewing your permanent resident card. How to renew your permanent resident card

The processing times for permanent resident card renewals also vary from month to month. As of May 22, 2013, it’s taking 93 calendar days to process renewals, replacement cards and initial card applications. Citizenship and Immigration Canada recommends that you apply to renew your card at least six months before it expires.

How to renew your permanent resident card

When renewing your permanent resident card in Canada, it is vital that you meet the requirements to do so. This means that you need to be within Canada and that you need to have meet the residency requirement for being a permanent resident in Canada. If you do not meet these requirements, you should speak to a licensed immigration lawyer immediately.

If you have met the requirements, you will need to:

Step 1: Obtain the application form for renewing your permanent resident card and fill it out completely and accurately.

Step 2: Obtain all of the supporting documents required for your application, including proof that you have met the residency requirement and passport photos that meet the specifications for your permanent resident card.

Step 3: Pay the fee and retain the receipt to include in your supporting documents.

Step 4: Have a licensed immigration lawyer review your application form and application package to ensure that it has been put together properly without any errors.

Step 5: Submit your application package.

Need help? Call our immigration law firm for assistance in renewing your permanent resident card.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.