How to Renew Your Permanent Resident Card in Canada

Permanent residents in Canada are able to live and work anywhere in the country while also being able to leave and re-enter the country. However, Canadian permanent residents are not the same as Canadian citizens, so there are still some obligations they have. One of these obligations is renewing their permanent resident card every five years before it expires. Renew permanent resident card

When should you renew your permanent residency card? It takes about three months to process a PR card renewal application, but Citizenship and Immigration Canada recommends submitting your application to renew your permanent resident card at least six months in advance.

What do I need to do to renew my PR card?

In order to renew your permanent resident card, you must:

1. Fill out the application to renew your permanent resident card.

2. Gather all of the supporting documents that are required for your application, which will include documents that you have met the permanent residency obligation.

3. Have passport photos taken, ensuring the meet the specifications for permanent resident cards as indicated on the application form.

4. Include the receipt for your fee in your supporting documents. You can pay this fee online, and it is $50.

5. Speak with a licensed immigration lawyer about your application to renew your permanent resident card. This can save you time and money by making sure there is nothing wrong with your application that could result in a delay or a denial.

Do you need to renew your permanent resident card? Are you concerned about having met the residency requirement for permanent resident status, or are you worried that you need your permanent resident card renewed right away? Give us a call! You can reach us at the phone number above, or my using the contact form on the right.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh2 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre2 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheong4 weeks ago