Renew Your PR Card Before It Expires

Did you know that your PR card, or permanent resident card, will expire every five years? You are responsible for renewing your card every time it is about to expire, but it is important that you do not wait too long to do so. Permanent resident card

Once you mail in your application package, it can take several weeks or even months to process and you must take this time into account when you are deciding how soon to submit your application.

As of March 27th, 2013, the average permanent residency card application processing time for initial cards, replacement cards and renewals for existing permanent residents is 73 calendar days, so you should be prepared to submit your application well before it expires.

How to renew your permanent residency card in Canada

1. Fill out an application form to renew your permanent resident card, ensuring that you don’t miss any spaces or leave anything blank.

2. Create your application package using the required supporting documents. Different supporting documents are needed for different situations, so ensure that you read and understand the instructions.

3. Have a licensed immigration lawyer review your application package to renew your permanent resident card, which will make sure that your application is ready for processing and help avoid a delay or denial.

4. Photocopy your application, including your supporting documents and the courier slip itself if you submit it that way to ensure you have a complete copy for your records.

5. Submit your application.

Do you have questions about your permanent residency card renewal application? Are you concerned about meeting the residency requirement, or do you need your renewed permanent resident card right away? We can help you! Contact us at the number above for assistance.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago