United States Visa Overstay

overstayed your united states

Are you in the United States on a visa and you are worried you may not be able to leave the country before your visa expires? Have you already overstayed your United States work visa? Believe it or not, this happens very often to many foreign nationals including Canadian citizens.

While this is a common occurrence, it is a very serious matter to overstay a United States visa of any kind. You are expected to leave the United States once your visa expires, but many times there are extenuating circumstances that result in your being unable to leave the country.

So what do you do?

What do I do if I overstay my United States visa?

If you overstay your United States visa, there could be serious consequences. You may even be banned from re-entering the United States from three years or for 10 years depending on how long you overstay your visa.

If you have already overstayed your visa or you are worried that you will overstay your visa, you should contact a licensed immigration lawyer as soon as possible. While the overstay can be quite serious, discussing your case with a licensed immigration lawyer (or attorney in the US) can help relieve some of your stress a bit. You could be entitled to apply for a United States waiver for the bar of entry you could be facing, as well as have the opportunity to discuss any other options you may have.

The longer you wait, the more serious the situation can become. That is why it is so important to ensure that you contact a an immigration professional as soon as you know you will or have overstayed your United States visa.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.