I Overstayed my US Visitor Visa

visa in the united states

Have you overstayed your visa for the United States? This is a very serious situation, but it can happen more often and more easily than you would think. Most United States visas are temporary and have an expiry date, at which point you must leave the United States.

Sometimes, circumstances beyond your control may result in your being unable to leave the United States in time. Consequences for overstaying your United States work visa can vary from situation to situation, but they can be significant consequences that will prevent you from attaining status in the United States or affect your ability to enter and live in the United States on another visa.

List of consequences for overstaying a visa in the United States

There are many consequences you could face for overstaying a United States visa. These consequences are all different, and apply in different circumstances. For example, if you overstay your visa by a certain amount of time, you could face being barred from the United States for 10 years. If you overstay for less time, you could only face a three year bar.

Overstays van also be restricted from changing their status or applying for an extension of stay, while there is a chance their existing visa could be voided. In addition, overstays may not be able to obtain another visa until they leave the country and return to their country of origin.

Overstays will also not be able to adjust their status, which is what someone does when they marry a United States citizen while living in the country to get their green card.

As you can see, overstaying can have serious consequences that will affect your future in the United States. If you have or think you will be overstaying your visa in the United States, speak to an immigration lawyer immediately.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh3 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre3 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheonga month ago