US Immigration Overstay Information for You

overstay your visa

Overstaying a United States visa, meaning you have remained in the United States even though your visa has expired, is a very serious matter. However, it happens more often than you’d think – even to Canadians – for a variety of reasons. If you overstay your visa in the United states you could face a number of serious consequences. However, you could avoid or overcome these consequences if you choose to act as quickly as possible.

What happens if I overstay my United States visa?

Several things can happen to you if you overstay your United States visa, even if you are a Canadian citizen. The severity of the consequence generally depends on how long you have overstayed your visa.

For example, someone who has overstayed their visa in the United States could face a bar from the United States for three years or for 10 years, but the longer you overstay your visa the more likely you could face a 10-year bar.

People who are in the United States on certain types of visas can sometimes apply to extend their stay in the United States or change their status, but having overstayed your visa can both void you existing visa and also prevent you from changing your status, extending your stay or applying for an adjustment of status.

In addition, it may only be possible for you to obtain another visa once you have left the United States and returned to your country of origin.

But what can you do if you overstay your visa to avoid these harsh penalties? You can contact a licensed immigration lawyer to discuss the possibility of your obtaining a United States waiver for overstaying your visa.

United States waiver applications are quite difficult, but with the right help on your side you can set yourself up for the best chance of a successful application.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago