Immigration to the US as a Dentist

By Michael Niren August 11, 2015 (Updated December 29, 2020) 2 min. read
h1b visa for dentists

If you’re a dentist hoping to work in the United States, the H-1B Visa for dentists is something to consider. This visa is for temporary foreign workers in specialized occupations, including dentistry. In addition to the standard educational requirements (a bachelor’s degree or higher), proof of a valid employer-employee relationship, and evidence of appropriate pay by the employer to the applicant should their visa application be accepted, there are some profession-specific tips to keep in mind for dentist applicants to make the process easier:

H-1B Visa Education Requirements for Dentists

Ensure that your education is applicable within the US, and specifically in the region where you would be working. Different countries have differing requirements for the same profession, and it’s important before you proceed to make sure that you have the necessary qualifications. As the American Dental Association explains, almost all states in the US require dentists educated in the US to possess a DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) or DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine). The degree must be from a university-based dental education program accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation (ADA CODA). If you were educated in a country other than the US or Canada, you’ll need an evaluation from a credentialing agency that certifies that your degree is equivalent to an American dentistry degree.

National Board Dental Examinations

In addition to educational requirements, you must be prepared to take the National Board Dental Examinations, conducted by the JCNDE (Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations). The examinations are made up of two parts, both of which are multiple choice. Part I covers biomedical science, dental anatomy, and ethics. Part II covers clinical subjects. Prepping for the exam will include securing a DENTPIN® (DENTal Personal Identifier Number), which you can get from the American Dental Association.

Licensing for Dentists

Finally, make sure you’re licensed in the region of the US where you would be working. Licensing varies state to state and requires taking the applicable examination. Some states may also have additional requirements such as a background check or fingerprint verification. You can find information on individual state boards on the American Dental Association website here.

Are You a Dentist Interested in Applying for an H-1B Visa?

As someone in a highly specialized position, you could have a strong chance at an H-1B Visa. However, you should consider seeking help from an immigration expert. At Visaplace, we know what steps and details that immigration officers consider when deciding whether to approve or deny an application.

The first step towards a successful H-1B application is getting an assessment of your case. Fill out our free immigration assessment form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your eligibility and options.