Overstayed US Tourist Visa and Now Wishes to Return

Overstayed US Tourist Visa?

Dear Michael.

I traveled to US in 2001 August, and overstayed my tourist visa. After a year, I attended Immigration Court and they told me to leave the US. I did leave  but did not do so on the given time, but rather 3 years later. That was 4 years ago. I would like to go back to the US soon.  My fellow Canadian citizens are free to go to the States and allowed to stay for 3 months without a visa. When can I even think of going back to visit?


Answer:  I assume that at Immigration Court, a Judge found you inadmissible and issued an entry bar against and may have issued a deportation order which you did not comply with (you eventually did leave).  For you to return to the US, you would have to apply for a US Waiver. (I-192 or I-212 Application depending on the circumstances) Since it has been 4 years since you have left the US, you could consider applying for a US Waiver at this time. If it is approved, you could enter the US during up to a 5 year period depending on the duration of the Waiver. Also remember as a Canadian citizen you do not need a “tourist visa” to enter the US as a visitor.

[gravityform id=1 name=Havea Question? ]
Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago