Age of Dependents Now Under 19 Years for Canadian Immigration

(Below is a transcription of this video)

Hi, this is Paula Holmes, with Do you wish to immigrate to Canada? Do you have children under the age of 19? You may be able to bring them as dependents on your application.

Age of Dependents Changes for Canadian Immigration

On August 1, 2014, Citizenship and Immigration Canada will be changing the definition of dependents for immigration applications. The definition of a dependent child will be changed from under the age of 22 to under the age of 19. This means that if your child is over 19, in most cases, he or she may not be able to accompany you to come to Canada.

It is also important to note that the child’s age will be locked in as of the date that the application is submitted. This means that if you file your application before August 1 and you have a child that is say, 21 years old, that child would qualify as a dependent. However, if you submit your application after August 1, you are out of luck.

New Exceptions and Criterias

Also, the exception of full-time studies for those children over the age of 19 will no longer apply, which means a child who is 20 or over and is financially dependent and attending school, they can no longer be deemed eligible to be processed as a dependent child.

But children, regardless of age, who are financially dependent on their parents because of mental or physical conditions will still fall under the current exemptions even with this new change in the law.

Are You Interested in Sponsoring a Dependents Under 19 Years Old?

I hope this video is helpful. For more information about this and about immigration to Canada, please visit Thanks.

Contact our experienced team today, and let us help you with sponsoring you dependents.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.