To see our website filtered by a specific destination, select the country: You are viewing content related to . To view a specific destination, . To view a specific destination, click here

Expired H-1B Visa, How to Renew, Extend, and Stay in the US

By Ella Bergquist May 26, 2020 (Updated December 13, 2020) 2 min. read
Expired H-1B Visa

The H-1B Visa is a very popular visa for foreign workers looking to work in the United States because of its lengthy valid time. The H-1B is initially granted a period of three years to work and live in the United States. When that three years is coming to an end you can apply for an H-1B extension which will give you another three years in the United States. The US allows H-1B holders to be working in the US for a total of six years which includes the extension.

My H-1B Visa is Expiring, What Should I Do?

If your H-1B visa is expiring on its third year then you can apply for the H-1B visa extension which can give you up to another three years to work in the US. Certain applicants from Chile and Singapore can only receive a one-year extension which must be renewed each year.

If you H-1B visa is expiring on its sixth year you may extend it another one year in 1-year increments. In order to stay in the US on an H-1B visa for a 7th year the visa holder must be applying for a green card through the employment-based category.

After H-1B Visa Options to Stay in the US

There are several ways to continue to stay in the United States after your H-1B visa has expired.

1 Year H-1B Extension

The foreign worker can apply for an H-1B extension past 6 years in one-year increments if the visa holder has filed the I-140 365 days before the 6-year expiration date

3 Year H-1B Extension

The foreign worker can apply for a 3 year H-1B visa extension if they have an approved I-140 petition for the EB-1, EB-2, or EB-3 employment-based green cards.

Recapture Time

Many H-1B visa holders will travel internationally for extended periods of time to visit their home countries. The US allows for “recapture” which will allow for an H-1B visa extension. The foreign worker may request an H-1B extension if they have traveled outside the United States during the validity of the visa.

Employment-Based Green Card

If you have worked in the United States and decide you want to make the US your permanent home then you may be able to apply for an Employment-Based Green Card. Your US employer must continue to sponsor you to apply for the Green Card.

Learn more about Employment Based Green Cards.

Apply for Canadian Immigration

If you have work experience in the United States under the H-1B visa you may qualify for another work visa but in Canada! There are several immigration programs in Canada that are similar and just as popular as the H-1B visa in the US. The following are programs you can apply for that will allow you to work in Canada:

Get Help Staying in the United States after Your H-1B Visa Expires

The path towards obtaining a Green Card or H-1B extension is an opportunity not to miss. VisaPlace has experienced staff to help guide you through the process and greatly increase your chances of staying in the US legally. We have helped thousands of individuals to successfully stay in the US and we can help you too!

Book a consultation today with our US immigration professionals to help you stay in the United States!

Mark R. Post Avatar

Mark R. Post

My new life is possible because of working with Visaplace. they took my case and knew exactly how to achieve the goals I’d set for myself and my family. Kind and courteous and got the job done.

James C. Starkes Avatar

James C. Starkes

I got my US L1 Visa through them, pretty smooth process. We weren’t sure they’d take our case as we had some issues with retrieving some documents, but they worked with us on getting everything we needed. Recommend.

Michael H. Perry Avatar

Michael H. Perry

I express deep appreciation to VisaPlace for their unwavering commitment in securing my visa successfully. Their unmatched professionalism has left me thoroughly satisfied with the results.

Severina Tedford Avatar

Severina Tedford

Allow me to express that our case proved to be more complex than initially anticipated. However, Aisha and Reena provided unwavering support throughout the entire process. At each juncture, they offered clear guidance on necessary actions, guiding us through the intricacies we couldn’t navigate independently. While the procedure proved more intricate than expected, our legal team maintained close communication, ensuring we were well-informed and adequately prepared. Confronted with challenges, they approached them with a positive attitude, instilling confidence through their professionalism and competence. I wholeheartedly recommend their services. While moments of stress were inevitable, their assurance and ability to convey that confidence were instrumental. Reflecting on the experience, I am certain we would not have succeeded without their assistance, or at the very least, the journey would have been significantly prolonged.

videos download Avatar

videos download

Very impressed. We had an application that was not straightforward, but our legal team put us at ease at every step of the way. I can’t imagine what the process would have been like without their help. Highly competent and reliable. If you’re trying to avoid a lot of headaches and grief, this is the firm you want in your corner.

John E. Raabe Avatar

John E. Raabe

I extend immense gratitude to VisaPlace for their dedicated efforts in successfully obtaining my visa!! Their unmatched professionalism has left me absolutely satisfied with the results.

Daniel Amoakoh Avatar

Daniel Amoakoh

VisaPlace offers professional guidance that will lead to successful visa acquisition and immigration to North America if obeyed. The staff is very caring and thoroughly discusses your case to find the best path for your application. My favorite is Mansi Sanghvi. I appreciate your support, VisaPlace.