Refused entry to Canada for a DUI?

When you arrive at the Canadian border, you are expected to disclose any possible criminal record or arrests you may have. In many cases, particularly if you are from the United States, Canadian border officials can see if you have a criminal record and what it is for – if you withhold information, you could get into trouble.

It is always in your best interest to be honest to border officials when you enter a country. If you do have a criminal record, border officials may deny your entry to Canada. But there are steps you can take to avoid this. Denied entry to Canada DUI 2

A criminal record could prevent you from Entering Canada.

Speaking with a licensed immigration lawyer can be a very wise step if you are planning on traveling to Canada. They can review your situation and help you determine if you would be considered inadmissible to Canada, and what you can do about it.

You may not realize that you do have options as someone who could be inadmissible to Canada because of a criminal record.

These options include applying for criminal rehabilitation, which will remove your criminal inadmissibility to Canada. You would apply for criminal rehabilitation through your Canadian consulate or embassy, and it can take many months for this application to be processed. However, it is a more permanent solution and once your criminal inadmissibility is removed you may come and visit Canada.

You could also apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, which is available the US-Canada border or at the Canadian embassy. Applying at the US-Canada border is instantaneous, it can also be risky as you could have traveled all that way for nothing if you are denied. This is also only a temporary solution, and you may need to demonstrate that there is an urgent reason for you to come to Canada.

Need help? Give us a call!

You can also now book an immigration consultation online.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

After initially having a very bad experience with one of their immigration consultants and after posting a negative review on Google I was immediately contacted by the Managing Director to reschedule another consultation to try and provide me with a more positive experience. I have been impressed by their attention to customer service as a result of this and I appreciate the initiative that they have taken to turn my negative experience into a positive one. My second consultation was a great experience, I spoke with Brian about my Canadian PR application and he was able to give me great advice and was extremely helpful. He answered all my questions and explained the process of how to apply and was very patient with me which I really appreciate.

Madhav Kin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musaa month ago

Great firm on top of their game. Worked with us til the end to ensure my parents visa was approved and guided us along the way in a professional manor. Natalie is awesome. Majority of our communications were via email, but the responses were immediate. I would greatly recommend this firm. Thank you for all your hard work and help. My family and I do really appreciate it.

Daxesh Patel2 months ago