Being Denied Entry to Canada for DUI


Often, Canadian border officials will use their discretion to deny entry to individuals who they feel could pose a threat to Canada or Canadians. In many cases, criminal records are the reason these individuals are denied entry and many of these people do not pose an actual risk. Of these criminal records, a record for a DUI (Driving under the influence) is one of the most common reasons someone would be denied entry to Canada.

Denied Entry to Canada Due to DUI

If you have a DUI conviction, you will need to speak with a licensed immigration lawyer to determine your eligibility for some of the options that are available to you. While if you try to enter the country as is you could be denied, you could be able to overcome your inadmissibility if you sort out your options in advance of your travel.

Seeking a Temporary Resident Permit

You could apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, which can be done at the border and will allow you into the country. You will have to demonstrate that you have a pressing matter or emergency that requires you to enter the country, and just because the option is there for you to apply at the border does not mean that you will be approved.

Seeking Criminal Rehabilitation

You could also be eligible to apply for criminal rehabilitation, which is another option available to individuals who have a criminal record that is older than five years. This is a permanent way of removing your inadmissibility to Canada, but you cannot do this at the border. You must apply to your local consulate or Canadian embassy, and this application can take months to process. You can also apply for a Temporary Resident Permit in this manner as well.

Have You Been Denied Entry to Canada for DUI?

If you have a DUI conviction on your criminal record or any other type of criminal record, you could be denied entry to Canada. All of Niren & Associates’ cases are handled by independent, licensed and award winning Canadian and U.S. lawyers who adhere to the highest standards of client service. If you have been denied entry to Canada for DUI, we may be able to help. Contact us to book a consultation.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago