How a criminal record can stop you from entering Canada

Crossing the border between Canada and the United States is not normally especially difficult. For example, most individuals only need to present a valid passport and they’ll be on their way. However, Canada and the United States have recently signed information sharing acts that mean if you have a criminal record in the United States, Canada will know about it. In addition, if you have a criminal record you must disclose this information to the border services officials when asked. Denied entry to Canada 5

Criminal records are all different, but if you do have a criminal record and you want to travel to Canada, you may need to be worried about yours.

This is because having a criminal record can cause you to be inadmissible to Canada.

Why does a criminal record stop you from coming to Canada?

Canada has a right to protect itself from people who may present a security risk or a danger to the public, and has policies in place to do so. However, often times there are cases where people who don’t pose any threat are deemed inadmissible and denied entry.

If you are denied entry to Canada or you have a criminal record and fear you will be denied, you can consider applying for a temporary resident permit, which will allow you to come to Canada for a short visit. You generally have to demonstrate that there is a pressing matter that needs your attention in order to get one.

Another thing you can do is apply for criminal rehabilitation, which is something that takes much longer, but is a more permanent solution.

Are you concerned about crossing the border into Canada because of a criminal record? Give us a call! We can help you with your case.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago