Do I need a tourist visa for Canada?

To determine if you are a foreign national of a country whose citizens require a visitor visa (also called a tourist visa or a temporary resident visa) to travel to Canada, please see this list.

As you can see, there are many countries whose citizens are required to obtain a visa to come to Canada, even just for a visit. Canada places these visa requirements on specific countries when visitors from those countries pose a risk or are likely to claim refugee status in Canada, so instead they must prove that they will not overstay their visa and have sufficient reason to return home.

As such, obtaining a visitor visa to come to Canada from any of the countries on the above list is a daunting task. It can be very difficult and you must meet all of the requirements exactly. Otherwise, your visa will be denied and you may not visit Canada.

When you apply for a Canadian visitor visa or tourist visa, it is very important that you:

Prove that you are going to leave the country before your tourist visa expires. You can do this by demonstrating that you have enough in your country of origin to go back to such as family, a job or a home, as well as by providing a copy of your return ticket home if applicable.
Prove that you earn an income that is high enough and that you are financially stable enough to support your trip in Canada and that you will not end up using Canadian social services.

Do not leave your visitor visa’s approval or denial up to chance. If you contact our immigration law firm and speak to a licensed immigration lawyer, we can set you and your application up for the best shot at success. There is no need to be denied because you made a mistake on your application, or missed a piece of documentation. We can also determine if you qualify in advance of paying the application fee, because this fee is not refundable even if your application is denied. Don’t waste time or money, and contact us as soon as you know you’ll be traveling to Canada.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.