4 Changes to the Parent and Grandparents Sponsorship Program

As you may know, the Canadian Government put the sponsorship of parents and grandparents on hold, allowing them to apply for something called a Super Visa instead.
Sponsoring Parents and Grandparents to Canada
 Super Visa was proposed as a new and temporary solution for parents and grandparents who wanted to visit Canada. Using the Super Visa, they would be allowed to enter Canada multiple times over a ten year period, for up to two years at a time. 

Previously, Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents would be able to sponsor their relatives to come to Canada permanently but a massive backlog and lengthy processing times resulted in a suspension of the program.

Now, the program is returning with some new changes.

New Changes to Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Program

1. The Government will work on making sure that Canada continues to admit high levels of parents and grandparents, and recently that level has been 50,000 annually.

2. The Super Visa will now become a permanent program in Canada, so parents and grandparents will have alternatives to permanent residence.

3. Permanent residents and Canadian citizens who sponsor their parents and grandparents to Canada will have to meet new requirements, including that they will have to have a higher level of income to qualify to sponsor their parents and grandparents.

4. There will be 5,000 applications accepted in 2014, which will help reduce the backlog while still admitting a high level of parents and grandparents.

Do You Want to Sponsor Your Parents or Grandparents to Come to Canada?

At Niren & Associates, we can help you! We have a high level of expertise with the new family sponsorship requirements as well as the requirements for the Multiple-Entry Super Visa. Contact us today!



Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.