New Point System for 2012 Skilled Worker Program

Federal Skilled Worker Points to be harder to get?

At a recent appearance in Toronto, Canadian Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney announced that the points system for the Federal Skilled Worker Program is being revised to favor better language skills and people younger in age.

Applicants need a certain number of points for the Federal Skilled Worker Program

In order to qualify to immigrate to Canada under the Skilled Worker Program, immigrants must complete an assessment. During the assessment they are awarded a points value for different things. For example, an applicant would get more points with a university degree than with only a high school education.

Currently, the assessment is out of 100 points and 67 points are required to pass.

It’s now known exactly how strict the new requirements will be, but they will be introduced by the end of the year as reported by the Toronto Star. In addition, Kenney mentioned that more points will be awarded if an applicant’s spouse speaks English or French, but they will not be required to take language tests.

Lets hope these proposed changes do not result in further bearers to entry to the best and the brightest talents. Canada, as I have said many times, must compete globally. We our aging demographics we can’t afford to deter applicants who could contribute to our labor force.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • dilbag

    Hi’ i have completed production of hotriculture diploma in austrailia and i have 1 year experience as well in the field.i have chemcert certificate which is approved by austrailian government so i want to know can i apply permanent residency for canada and how many ielts band score require…thanks

    • Hello Dilbag

      Thank you for your question. You may possibly qualify under the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) category. We would have to perform a formal assessment of your case first. You can reach us at

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago