Are the Trump-Fleeing Celebs Really Just All Talk?

Trump Canada

Similar to the Bush-Gore election in 2000, the current political apocalypse fought between Republican candidate Donald Trump and Democratic party candidate Hillary Clinton has created a sense of panic among the Hollywood elite. Typically a liberal bunch, many “A-list” celebrities have expressed a desire to move to Canada should the U.S. decide to inaugurate President Trump. Celebs like Jon Stewart, Cher, Barbra Streisand, Samuel L. Jackson, Chelsea Handler and Lena Dunham have all gone on record, saying they’re out, if Trump gets in.


However, similar to the year 2000, Canada isn’t about to grant citizenship to Americans who are disappointed with their democracy.

Typically a liberal bunch, many “A-list” celebrities have expressed a desire to move to Canada should the U.S. decide to inaugurate President Trump. However, similar to the year 2000, Canada isn’t about to grant citizenship to Americans who are disappointed with their democracy.

Visitor Visa Limits

The North American Free Trade Agreement allows citizens of the United States to visit Canada for a period of up to six months, and vice versa. Since this is a visitor visa, Americans won’t be able to work legally within Canada during this time, nor will they be able to establish permanent ties with their neighbour. At best, Americans seeking to flee President Trump will have to settle for an extended vacation away from the Republican candidate.

Escaping the U.S.A.

Most celebrities who proclaim they will leave the United States if a right wing candidate becomes president end up staying in their country and simply learn to deal with the new political climate. For those who truly want to leave the United States for a longer period of time, Canada does offer numerous methods of earning work visas, super visas and in some cases, the ability to become a citizen.

Work visas, such as the NAFTA TN professional visa, increase the time you’re allowed to stay in Canada, also enabling you to remain gainfully employed. If you have children in Canada, you might qualify for the parent and grandparent super visa, extending your stay to as long as two years in a row. Investor and business visas are another option, letting you invest and create a business in Canada.

Not a Celebrity? Want to Move to Canada?

Certainly, having a lot of fame and money makes it easier for celebrities to go through a visa process. Nonetheless, celebrities and regular Americans alike should expect to go through similar processes, assuming they’re not bluffing when they threaten to leave the country.

Are you interested in immigrating to the U.S. or moving to Canada? Contact VisaPlace today.

All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Click here to book a consultation with an immigration professional or fill out our FREE assessment and we will get back to you within 24 hours.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • john

    Have lived in the US for years, BSc in public health, Bsn in nursing and currently work as nurse here in the US. I was married here in the US and had tried to adjust status but was unsuccessful as a result of matter of entry to US…such application was denied and. I have a fiance currently living in canada and plan to relocate hopefully by virtue of her sponsorship. How do I proceed?

    • Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello John. We need to know more details about your status in the US, the status of your previous marriage, and the situation of your fiancee. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for you. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Muga

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh3 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre3 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheonga month ago