Get Answers to Your Visa Questions! Call 1.866.929.0991

US & Canada Immigration News

Toll-Free: 1-866-929-0991

Outside of North America: +1-416-410-7484

Fill out our immigration assessment form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your eligibility and immigration options.

Canada’s New Federal Skilled Worker Occupation List Needs Teachers



Earlier in the year, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) announced that the new Federal Skilled Worker program will be open to educators, lecturers, professors and teaching assistants who are interested in immigrating to the country.

Canada’s New Federal Skilled Worker List Needs Teachers

Interestingly, it’s the first time since 2008 that educational occupations have been added to the list for eligible FSW occupations. These fall under two separate categories:

  • University professors and lecturers (NOC 4011)
  • Early childhood educators and assistants (NOC 4214)

The FSW Program

What is the FSW program? It’s a program that enables skilled workers to apply for Canadian permanent residency without the need to first secure a Canadian job offer or have a relative already in Canada. Those eligible (i.e. skilled workers on the list of eligible occupations) can apply for a Canadian permanent residency visa which, if successfully awarded, allows them to live and work in Canada, in any provinces and territories outside of Quebec.

Candidates are awarded on a points-based system, with a total of only 25,000 applications accepted in total this year, including a maximum 1,000 applications for any one occupation on the list.

Who is Eligible?

There has already been a bit of confusion about exactly who is eligible for this scheme, but the important thing to remember is that it comes down to more than just a job title when determining who can apply.

Luckily, Canada’s National Occupation Classification (NOC) Database has described each occupation, and applicants can help discover if they are eligible.

Below we’re going to go over each occupation in a little more detail:

Professors and Educators

This occupation applies to professors, lecturers, researchers, instructors and educators, including those who actively teach courses to undergraduates and graduates, as well as department heads.

Their duties should include:

  • Teaching at least one subject to students at undergraduate or graduate level
  • Preparing and giving lectures
  • Conducting discussion groups or laboratory sessions
  • Advising students on matters of academia or career
  • Conducting research in their chosen fields and publishing findings in journals or scholarly books

Early Childhood Educators and Assistants

This occupation seems to cover a much broader spectrum of those involved in the education of children, including those who work at daycare centers or early development settings.

Duties for early childhood educators include helping to develop and deliver childcare programs, as well as planning and maintaining a nurturing, safe and healthy environment while assessing children’s abilities and leading activities and early development.

Educator assistants play a much more supportive role and help childhood educators implement their programs, maintain equipment, and attend meetings, along with preparing snacks and assisting children with tasks such as eating and dressing.

Are You Interested in Applying for the FSW Program?

If you are interested in the FSW program or are in need of immigration services, contact us today to book an initial consultation and find out more about our services.

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

4 thoughts on “Canada’s New Federal Skilled Worker Occupation List Needs Teachers

  1. Gertjan simon Jongh

    Good afternoon,

    This sounds really great. I’m a history and geography teacher. I have been teaching for 10 years straight. Bedsides this in school I also have organized intervisie en supervisie courses for teachers to help them to become better teachers.

    I’m 42 years old and would like to migrate from the Netherlands to Canada. I am married and have two kids.

    How big is for me the possibility to become a teacher in the Toronto area?

    Greetings from the Netherlands.

    1. Immigration Lawyers

      Hi Gertjan,

      Thank you for contacting us at VisaPlace! With your teaching experience, you may qualify for a visa in order to teach in Toronto, and we would love to help you. Hiring an immigration lawyer will help you get answers to all of your questions, plus it will increase the chance of getting a visa approved. Please, complete this form for me it is just a quick and easy way for me to learn more details about you and your situation so that I will be able to advise you accurately and determine the best avenue for us to take to give you the best legal advice.

      The above response is for informational purposes only and does not form a lawyer-client relationship nor should it be construed to be legal advice.

  2. Mira Freiwat

    Hello Jehaneb,

    Thank you for your post. I am sorry but I did not understand your question entirely. Are you interested in applying as a Nurse or as a Teacher? And are you looking to apply for temporary work or to immigrate here? MF


    I am male nurse recently completed my MSc in Nursing from Pakistan, and serving as university lecturer:I am interested to serve in Canada if you can help me in this regard, your efforts will be highly appreciated
    Jehanzeb Khan


Leave a Comment:

Your email address will not be published.


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.