Do I need a visa for a business meeting in the US?

If you have a business meeting or other business event in the United States, even if you are a Canadian citizen you might need to obtain a business visitor visa. This visa is called the B1 business visitor visa, and is for activities like business meetings. Business Meeting in the US 3

However, sometimes it is tricky to determine whether or not you require a business visitor visa or a work permit. There is a long list of activities permitted on a B1 business visitor visa, but there’s an even longer list of activities that are not permitted.

What can I do on a B1 business visitor visa?

On a B1 business visitor visa, you can do things like negotiate contracts, purchase United States property, consult with associates, attend business conventions, attend business conferences, negotiate contracts and attend business meetings.

United States immigration authorities must be convinced that you are only engaging in permissible B1 business visitor visa activities, which means that you cannot be working or doing anything that requires a work permit. You can demonstrate this in part with a letter from your employer detailing your activities, your complete itinerary and a letter from the organization that has invited you to the United States.

You must also show that you will return home when your time in the United States is done, as the B1 business visitor visa is temporary. This means showing your intentions to return home with information about your job in Canada, your family in Canada, your home in Canada and more.

Do you have an upcoming business event in the United States? Are you unsure of whether you require a business visitor visa or a work permit? We can help you! Give us a call at the number above for an assessment of your case.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.