Do I need a visa for a business meeting in the United States?

If you are a foreign national who will be engaging in business activities such as a business meeting in the United States, you may require a business visitor visa. This visa is not a work permit, but rather a visa for when you are in the United States doing work on behalf of your foreign or Canadian employer. Business Meeting in the US 4

The business visitor visa for the United States is officially called the B1 business visitor visa, but it’s not always apparent what you can and cannot do on a B1 business visitor visa.

Permissible B1 business visitor visa activities

Some examples of activities you can engage in while on a business visitor visa include attending business meetings, buying property, attending conventions and conferences, consulting with associates, negotiating contracts and investigating business opportunities.

In order to obtain your B1 business visitor visa, the United States immigration officials must be satisfied that you are not intending to enter the United States to work, because otherwise you would need a work permit. You must be able to prove this to them, and you can try to do so using proof like a letter from your employer, a letter from the organization that has invited you to the US or a copy of your full travel itinerary.

You must also show that you have every intention of leaving the United States and returning home when your trip is over. This is so that the United States immigration officials know you won’t be overstaying your visa. You can do this with proof like property records, bank records, employment records or information about your immediate family in Canada.

Do you need a B1 business visitor visa? Don’t miss your important business opportunity! Give us a call for assistance with your visa application.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.