Canadian Company Doing Business in the United States

If you are a Canadian who wants to visit the United States, you would normally just have to meet the regular requirements for entry to the United States and present your Canadian passport to be allowed in. But if you’re a Canadian or other foreign national who needs to go to the United States for other purposes, you may need a permit or a visa. In the case of doing business in the United States, you’ll need a business visitor visa.

Doing Business in the United States

If you are looking to obtain a B-1 Business Visitor Visa for the United States, you are actually able to apply for this visa at the border if you are a Canadian. However, you must be fully prepared to apply when you travel to the border, otherwise there is a risk you could be denied for your visa. If you’re denied, you could end up missing your business event or activity.

Obtaining a B-1 Business Visitor Visa for the US

In order to be eligible to get a B1 business visitor visa, you need to also be eligible to enter the United States. In addition, you will need to be able to prove you will only be engaging in the allowed business visitor visa activities and that you will definitely return to Canada once your business activities are finished.

Because there is a very long list of activities that are allowed on a B1 business visitor visa, it can be confusing to many people whether they need a B1 business visitor visa or whether they actually need a United States work permit. Regardless, it is very important you apply for the right visa for your purposes.

We Can Help Canadian Companies Doing Business in the United States

VisaPlace can help you determine whether you need a United States work permit or a United States work visa, and we can help you apply. Contact us or book a consultation online, we’re here to help Canadian companies doing business in the United States!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • George

    I intend buying a production line in US. As a Canadian, which one should be done first, register LLC in US, or apply B1 visa? Also, can B1 visa allow family go together to US for the business?
    Thank you very much,

    • Hello George

      This all depends on your situation. A B-1 is for visitation for business only and not work. A family generally can go together on a B-1 as well.
      You should consult with a lawyer before establishing an LLC. If you intend to work in the US, you would need a work visa.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago

Great firm on top of their game. Worked with us til the end to ensure my parents visa was approved and guided us along the way in a professional manor. Natalie is awesome. Majority of our communications were via email, but the responses were immediate. I would greatly recommend this firm. Thank you for all your hard work and help. My family and I do really appreciate it.

Daxesh Patel2 months ago

I am grateful for the legal services that I got from Sanaa and Alicea of Visa Place. I was impressed by their client centered approach. Their professionalism involved their hearts and heads to work on my case. I cannot compare the time they spent on it with the money I paid. All they wanted was a fine final document. I also liked their prompt communication. They are really passionate about what they do.

Theresie Nuwimanaa month ago