Working Holiday Visa for Canada 2019

Working Holiday Visa Canada

If you want to travel to Canada in order to experience all that Canada has to offer on a temporary basis, it can be difficult to ensure you have enough money to do so in advance. Wouldn’t it be great if you could work in Canada while also working so you could earn enough money to fund your stay? The Working Holiday Visa is your answer.

There is a way to do this, with the several different types of International Experience Canada programs available to foreign nationals who wish to visit Canada while also working or amassing Canadian work experience through internships. The most popular IEC program is the Working Holiday Visa.

What is the Working Holiday Visa Program in Canada?

The Working Holiday Visa allows you to fund your vacation with temporary work in Canada. This option is very popular for young adults who are traveling and working in Canada to fund their travels. The type of work permit you get for Working Holiday is an open work permit. An open work permit is a type of work permit that allows a person to work for any employer in Canada, except for an employer:

  • who is listed as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with conditions, or
  • who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages

The Working Holiday Visa Program allows young people from over 30 different countries around the world to live and work in Canada. The work permit is valid for either 12 or 24 (1 or 2 years) depending on your country of citizenship.

Who Can Apply for the Working Holiday Visa?

The Working Holiday Visa is for you if:

  • You don’t have a job offer yet
  • You want to work for more than one employer in Canada
  • You want to work in more than one location
  • You’d like to earn some money so that you can travel

The following countries allow for the Working Holiday Visa for their citizens. Each country has a specific age eligibility and maximum validity.

Australia: Age 18-20, 24 months

Austria: Age 18-30, 12 months

Belgium: Age 18-30, 12 months

Chile: Age 18-35, 12 months

Costa Rica: Age 18-35, 12 months

Croatia: Age 18-35, 12 months

Czech Republic: Age 18-35, 12 months

Denmark: Age 18-35, 12 months

Estonia: Age 18-35, 12 months

France: Age 18-35, 24 months

Germany: Age 18-35, 12 months

Greece: Age 18-35, 12 months

Hong Kong: Age 18-30, 12 months

Ireland: Age 18-35, 24 months

Italy: Age 18-35, 6 months, may apply another 6 months as visitor

Japan: Age 18-30, 12 months

Latvia:Age 18-35, 12 months

Lithuania: Age 18-35, 12 months

Netherlands: Age 18-30, 12 months

New Zealand: Age 18-35, 23 months

Norway: Age 18-35, 12 months

Poland: Age 18-35, 12 months

Portugal: Age 18-35, 24 months

San Marino: Age 18-35, 12 months

Slovaki: Age 18-35, 12 months

Slovenia: Age 18-35, 12 months

South Korea: Age 18-30, 12 months

Spain: Age 18-35, 12 months

Sweden: Age 18-30, 12 months

Taiwan: Age 18-35, 12 months

United Kingdom: Age 18-30, 24 months

Requirements for Working Holiday Visa

For all countries that are eligible under the Working Holiday Visa in Canada there is a set of requirements for candidates.

  1. Must be a citizen from one of the countries listed above.
  2. Must have a valid passport throughout your stay in Canada
  3. Must be between the age requirement for your country.
  4. Must have the equivalent of $2,500 CAD to cover initial expenses.
  5. Must be admissible to Canada under Immigration regulations.
  6. Must have a round-trip ticket or financial resources to purchase a departure ticket out of Canada.
  7. Must not be accompanied by any dependants.
  8. Must pay the application fees.

How to Apply for the Working Holiday Visa

Step 1: Answer “Come to Canada” Questionnaire

First you must determine your eligibility by using the online tool, Come to Canada, to see if you meet the criteria in order to participate in International Experience Canada 2018 (IEC). When you get to the end of the questionnaire you will receive a “personal reference code”.

Step 2: Create your My CIC Account

If you are eligibile, you would have received the “personal reference code” after the questionnaire. You will put your code into the IEC online profile. There is no fee queried at this step.

Step 3: Create and Complete your IEC Pool Profile

There is four sections of the IEC profile: Personal details of applicant, contact information, work & education details, and application details. Once all four sections are completed you will continue and electronically sign and submit your IEC profile.

Step 4: Receive your Invitation to Apply (ITA)

Once you’ve submitted your IEC profile you will be in the pool of your country of citizenship for one year or until the IEC 2018 season closes. Invitations to apply (ITA) will be issued by the CIC regularly in rounds to candidates in the pools. Eligibile candidates will be invited from the pools to apply for a work permit at regular intervals throughout the year and in numbers that are in line with periods of high demand. Rounds of invitations will take place until there are no more spots available.

Step 5: Accept Invitation & Apply for your Working Holiday Visa

If you are invited to apply, you will get a message in your MyCIC account. You will have 10 days to accept the invitation, otherwise it will EXPIRE.

To accept your Invitation To Apply (ITA) for your Working Holiday, you will need to:

  1. Go to the section called “Applications” in MyCIC
  2. Find the application called “Work permit” and
  3. Click “Start application.”

From the day you accept the invitation, you will have 20 days to apply online for a work permit. You will receive a message in your MyCIC account with the time and date of your deadline. When you have completed the application, the system will generate a personalized Document Checklist for you. It will show all the supporting documents you need to upload. Receiving an invitation to apply does not mean that you will automatically receive a work permit.

Step 6: Get your Biometrics Taken

Biometrics is part of the application process to confirm your identity. You will have your fingerprints scanned and photo taken when you apply for your visa or permit to Canada. After you submit your work permit application, you will receive a referral letter telling you that you are required to have your fingerprints and photograph taken. You have 30 days to complete them otherwise your visa will be denied.

Step 7: Receive your IMM 5665 POE (Port of Entry)

After you submit your work permit application with all your final documents, you application will be processed on a “first-in, first-out” basis. Typically applications for the Working Holiday Visa is about 8 weeks.

Other International Experience Canada (IEC) Work Permits

Young Professionals

Gain Canadian professional work experience to better compete in a global economy.

The type of work permit you get in the Young Professionals category is an employer-specific work permit.

This category is for you if:

  • You have a job offer in Canada that contributes to your professional development
  • You’ll work for the same employer in the same location during your stay in Canada

Under this category, work must be:

  • paid
  • not self-employed

Your employer must meet all labour laws in the province or territory you plan to work including meeting minimum wage requirements.

The job you are offered in Canada must be classified as a National Occupational Classification (NOC) Code Skill Type Level 0, A or B to be considered as contributing to your “professional development.” A NOC C job might be accepted if you can submit a post-secondary diploma, certificate or degree, with your work permit application. Your diploma, certificate or degree must be translated to English or French.

International Co-op Internship

Get valuable overseas work experience related to your field of study.

The type of work permit you get in the International Co-op (Internship) category is an employer-specific work permit. The internship you are offered in Canada must be directly linked to your field of studies and classified as a National Occupational Classification (NOC) Code Skill Type Level 0, A or B to be considered. A NOC C job might also be accepted if your internship is directly linked to your field of studies with a post-secondary institution in your country.

This category is for you if:

  • You’re a student registered at a post-secondary institution
  • You have a job offer for a work placement or internship in Canada
  • You need to do this work placement or internship to complete your studies
  • You’ll work for the same employer in the same location during your stay in Canada

Wages must follow the labour laws in the province or territory you will be working in. The labour code of the province or territory will determine if an internship needs to be paid or not.

Employment and labour law standards apply to all foreign nationals in Canada. It is up to the IEC candidates and their Canadian employer to inquire, for their particular case, with the relevant provincial or territorial departments regarding labour standards.

Are You Interested in Temporarily Working in Canada?

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?

Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.

Ella Rae Bergquist

About VisaPlace Immigration News Contributor - Ella

Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

I could not have asked for more! The VisaPlace team are extremely professional, they know their stuff. They gave me great information, prepared my work visa application and then prepared me for the submission process. I was successful. Got my visa. 5 stars! I would give them 6 if I could.

Tim Willisin the last week

This is not an exaggeration!!! I was truly impressed with the way VisaPlace consultants handled my case. The consultants- Emily, Lauren, Takunda and Lisa, took their time to explain to me in great deal how they were going to approach my case and how they would handle setbacks, if any. Their professionalism and knowledge of the law were superb. The minor setback that came up was quickly addressed by the team. The team constantly kept me updated on the progress/status of my application; they quickly responded to my questions/concerns. They had predicated my permanent residency to be processed within 6 -12, and Indeed it was processed and completed within 6 months. Based on my personal experience, Emily and Lauren's team are the best! They deserve 5 stars!!!!!!!!!!!

George Jakan'gayoa week ago

VisaPlace helped me sponsor my husband to become a Permanent Resident of Canada. They were extremely professional. Every step along the way was explained fully and expertly taken care of. The staff responded immediately to any questions and always handled our concerns fully, taking as much time as we needed to understand where we were at in the immigration process and what to expect next. I would recommend VisaPlace with no hesitation at all. I'm sure if we had tried to navigate the immigration process ourselves, it would have been much harder.

Shirley Corriveau2 weeks ago