Can Canadians Retire in the US?

Are you a Canadian citizen who is approaching retirement? Are you wondering if there’s any way you can spend your retirement in a warmer climate, or at the very least, the winters?

Retiring Permanently in the US as a Canadian is Not Possible

Many Canadians spend their winters in the United States, some even have property in the United States that makes spending their winters there a perfect solution. However, if you are a Canadian citizen there is a limit to how much time you can spend in the United States. You may only spend six months per year in the United States, and both the United States and Canada do not allow you to stay longer.

How Can I Retire Permanently in the US?

If you want to retire permanently in the United States you must first become a permanent resident of the United States. This means you will have to go through the regular immigration channels to become a permanent resident of the United States, and there are many ways in which you can do

For example, if you are in the United States on can-canadians-retire-in-the-USAa work visa, your employer can petition you for permanent residency and you can eventually retire in the United States. You could also become a permanent resident of the United States if you have a close relative or spouse who is a citizen or a permanent resident, and then they could sponsor you for permanent residency.

Options to Retire in the US Vary

However these options don’t work for everyone. If you are a Canadian citizen and have a high net worth or you can make an investment in a new or existing business, you could consider applying for an investor visa. Depending on which kind of visa you apply for, you could obtain permanent residency in the United States or you could be able to remain in the United States for several years.

For example, the investor E-2 visa is for five years but you would be able to renew it. You will have to make an investment in a new or existing business to obtain this visa. The E-B5 visa is similar, but also requires a high net worth. In addition, this visa is for permanent residency.

Want to Become a Permanent Resident in the US?

Attaining permanent residency in the US can be made easy with our help. If you’re interested in learning how you can attain permanent residency in the US, feel free to contact us.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago