How To Enter Canada After Being Denied

Being denied entry to Canada is no laughing matter. It can be embarrassing, and all of the plans you had in Canada – whether you were visiting family, going on a nice vacation or attending an important meeting – will be effectively cancelled and you have to turn around and go back where you came from. But just because you have been denied entry to Canada doesn’t mean you have no options or are out of luck. But first, why were you denied entry to Canada? 

Reasons for being denied entry to Canada

The list of reasons someone would be denied entry to Canada is vast – after all, it’s the job of the Canadian Border Services Agency to keep Canada and Canadians safe.

Anyone found in breach of immigration law, anyone found to have misrepresented themselves, had an inadmissible family member, those with criminal records, those who have health problems that could cause excessive demand on health or social services and those who are not financially stable can all be refused entry to Canada.

However, sometimes Canada is a bit overzealous when it comes to keeping people out of the country, and people who pose absolutely no threat get caught in the crossfire. Here’s what you can do about it. Most commonly, a criminal record for a somewhat minor offence or a health issue is what will cause you to be denied entry. If this is the case, you can:

When you are denied entry to Canada…

If you are denied entry to Canada because of a criminal record and your criminal conviction occurred over five years ago, you may apply for criminal rehabilitation at your local Canadian consulate.

You could also apply for a temporary resident permit, which will allow you to enter Canada even though you were inadmissible otherwise. Visitors to Canada from countries who require visas to come to Canada also apply for these, but if you are a visitor from a visa-exempt country, you may need one if you are inadmissible.

Please note that both of these applications are difficult, and they are often denied. They may be your only shot at being allowed to visit Canada, and it is a very good idea to consult with a licensed immigration lawyer beforehand.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago