Coming to Canada as a Skilled Worker: Changes to the job categories

Exciting news! Citizenship and Immigration Canada has re-opened the Federal Skilled Worker Program, and will begin accepting applications on May 4th, 2013. There is a cap of 5,000 applications over the next year of 300 per occupation, of which there are 24. The PhD program has a cap of 1,000, while there are cap exceptions for certain arrangements of employment. New Skilled Worker List

The applications will only be accepted for 24 different occupations, which are listed here.

Do you have a job offer in Canada for one of these occupations? Keep in mind that an arranged offer of employment is not all that is needed for this type of immigration stream.

Do you qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker Program?

If you are applying for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you need to pass based on the points system for this program, which are awarded based on a number of different criteria, including your age, your education level and your work experience.

The Federal Skilled Worker program has also been revamped, putting more emphasis (points) on your work experience (particularly your Canadian work experience) and your language proficiency.

Because there is a cap on these applications, you will want to act immediately so that you do not pass up this opportunity. We are an immigration law firm that has helped many people obtain work permits and immigrate to Canada under different immigration streams for permanent residency, including the Federal Skilled Worker Program. Please contact us for assistance with your application – we know what immigration officers are looking for, and we can help you ensure that your application meets their expectations! Contact us at the phone number above for assistance.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.