My PR card expired outside of Canada

Are you a permanent resident of Canada? You likely have a permanent resident card, or PR card. This card is proof that you are a Canadian permanent resident and are entitled to all of the rights that permanent residents of Canada have, including being able to leave and re-enter Canada as often as you wish. PR Card Renewal

However, your permanent resident card does have an expiry date and Citizenship and Immigration Canada recommends that you take the steps to renew your PR card about six months before it expires. While this is not always possible, it can become a difficult situation if you are actually outside of Canada when your card expires. This is because you must be inside Canada to renew your card, but you cannot return to Canada without a valid card. So what do you do?

Apply for a travel document to re-enter Canada with an expired PR card

If your permanent resident card is expired while you are outside of Canada, you can apply for a travel document at your local Canadian consulate. This document will allow you to fly back to Canada, re-enter the country and ensure that you are able to renew your card.

But just like when you renew your permanent resident card, you need to show Canadian officials that you have met the residency requirement for permanent resident status before you can get a travel document. This means that you need to have been in Canada for at least two of the past five years.

If you cannot do so, you may run into issues and need to make humanitarian and compassionate arguments as to why you could not meet this requirement.

Are you facing difficulties in renewing your permanent resident card or obtaining a travel document? Give our immigration law firm a call.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Julia Robert

    Thanks for sharing this nice post. Most PR cards are valid for five years. You should renew your card within six months of when it will expire.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago