I Overstayed my United States Work Visa

overstayed united states work visa

Have you overstayed your United States work visa? This is a very serious matter, but you are not alone. Many people overstay their United States work visas every year, either intentionally or accidentally. The United States takes these situations very seriously and there is a list of consequences you may face if you do overstay your visa.

Consequences for overstaying a United States work visa

Consequences to overstaying a United States work visa include:

You may not be able to enter the United States again for three years or ten years, which depends on how long you have overstayed your initial visa.

You may not be able to adjust your status in the United States, which is what you would want to do if you were to marry a United States citizen while living in the United States as a foreign national.

You may have your existing visa voided, and you may not be able to get a new one until you leave the United States and return to your home country.

You may also not be able to apply for an extension of stay or a change of status.

While a serious matter, there are options that you have when you have overstayed your visa. For example, you may be able to apply for a United States waiver depending on the circumstances. Whatever the case, you need to speak to a licensed immigration lawyer as soon as possible in any kind of overstay situation.

We are an award-winning immigration law firm that can help you with your overstay issues. Please contact us at the number above, or contact us using the form on the right for immediate assistance with your case.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Richard Young

    I met a lady from Thailand about two years ago. Will be going on three years that she has overstayed her visa. Some how she is able to work threw a temp agency. Anyway, we have fallen in love and wish to marry. Is there anything I can do? Thank you

    • owen

      Hello Richard,

      Thank you for the question. If your wife has overstayed her visa for three years, then she may be unlawfully present in the US, and she would not be able to apply for a new visa or adjust her status upon marrying you. She would need to apply for a Visa Waiver in her home country, but this will be very difficult to obtain since 3 years is a very long time to overstay in the US. Fortunately, we have helped many people successfully obtain Visa Waivers in the past, and we would be happy to help you too. If you could please fill out our free online assessment form then one of our immigration professionals will get in touch with you shortly http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment/


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago