Being Transferred to the US for Work

Many Canadians and other foreign nationals are under the impression that if one is being transferred to the United States by their employer, they do not need a work permit or a visa. However, this is a mistake. Any foreign national working in the United States, including a Canadian citizen, will require a work visa even if they are being transferred by their employer. This visa is the L-1 visa, and the visa is available for individuals who wish to expand their business in the United States as well.

What are the Requirements for the L-1 Visa?


However, not just anyone can apply for an L-1 visa. There are strict requirements surrounding applications for this visa, as well as all other United States work visas.

Applicants who wish to apply for the L-1 visa cannot just hold any position at a company. They must be specialty knowledge employees, executives or managers, and there are specific L-1 visas for each of these positions.

Employer Requirements for the L-1 Visa

In addition, the company that the employee is being transferred from must be of a certain legal relationship with the United States company, as either a parent company, a subsidiary, affiliate, branch or joint venture partner.

This company that is outside of the United States must also continue to operate as a business while you are in the United States on the L-1 visa.

In certain situations, provided you meet the necessary requirements, you could even be eligible to obtain permanent residency status in the United States through your L-1 visa.

Are You Looking to Work in the US?

Do you want to work in the United States, or expand your business to the United States? The L-1 visa could be the perfect choice for you. Simply contact us and we can help you!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago