I am being transferred to the United States

The United States is home to many branches, subsidiaries and offices of international companies whose headquarters are located in different countries all over the world. As such, it is not uncommon for businesses to continue to expand to the United States or transfer employees to the United States. When this happens, even though the office is located in the United States, the employee may require an L-1 visaL1 Visa for the United States, which is for the expansion of business to the United States.

Expanding your business to the United States with an L1 visa

Before you can apply for the L1 visa, you need to make sure you meet the requirements. As an employee, you must have worked for the foreign company for at least one year as a full-time employee, within the last three years.

Not just any employee can be transferred on the L1 visa. You must be an executive, a manager or in a specialized knowledge position. There are specific legal definitions that accompany each of these job titles when regarding the L1 visa and inter-office transfers.

In addition, the United States office must have a specific relationship with the foreign company, which must also remain in business actively after the transfer. The United States office needs to be a branch, parent company, joint venture partner, subsidiary or affiliate of the foreign company.

The L1 visa is also valid for five to seven years, depending on the type you get which is based on the job title you hold.

Are you looking to expand your business to the United States, or to start a new business in the United States? If so, the L1 visa may be the perfect option for you and your business. If you are interested in applying for this visa, please contact our immigration law firm for assistance. We are available to help you!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Migrating is a hard task for anyone. Finding a job is even harder. Once I got a job offer, things started moving rapidly. So, I called used VisaPlace (Niren and associates) to assist with the process. Rania and Richard deserve the utmost respect in getting the job done. They have been patient with me and some set backs. Very professional.! Hands down, money was well spent. Thanks Rania and Richard, you make an awesome team. You'll definitely have a repeat customer with me !! I was very impressed at how well they were organized and had a positive experience. Very good and professional work led to a successful outcome. I highly recommend using VisaPlace.

RenaisTTa week ago

I'll like to say I had an awesome initial consultation with Rania Abboud. She was knowledgeable, made the initial process easy and understood my situation. I am excited and hopeful to continue consulting this company. You do a great job for immigrants. Also, Natalie Walcz was great, she handled my situation professionally. Great team. Definitely assets to your company.

Jeffery Yirenkyi2 weeks ago

Completely smooth process. Rania did a great job in my Canada work permit. The team is absolutely competent and knowledgeable. Alicea was so amazing and was able to answer any of my questions immediately. I had peace of mind throughout the application. I would recommend them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications.

Theressa Jaranillaa month ago