Made a mistake on a Canadian Immigration Form?

Mistake on Canadian Immigration form Q&A

Q. Hello,I am a Canadian immigrant and will be moving back to Canada. I have a daughter who is 4 years old. She is a US citizen. I did not mention her when I was applying for Canadian immigration. Now I want to bring her to Canada with me. Will it be a problem for her to travel with me to Canada and stay there legally? What are the options for me now? I want to live in Canada with my daughter.H.Z.A.

What to do if you’ve made a mistake on a Canadian Immigration Form

Under current Canada Immigration legislation, applicants for Canadian Permanent Residence have an obligation to disclose all their dependents on the application such as their children and their spouse, even if their dependents will not be accompanying them at the time. If applicants do not do this, they could run into serious difficulties if they wish to sponsor their dependents at a later date. They may be prohibited from ever sponsoring their dependents in the future. It is therefore strongly recommended to always be up front about all your dependents on your application form even if you do not wish them to accompany you to Canada.  In your case, it still may be possible to bring your daughter to Canada under Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds but it may not be easy.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • M I

    iam a permanent residence renewing my pr card from wit in Canada. I by mistake wrote date of birth 17 Feb instead of 13 Feb on the form. How bad is my case and how to correct it.
    Thank you

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Thank you for your inquiry.
      Yes your incorrect birth date can be corrected. It is best done with professional guidance. In order for me to help you more, I would need to learn more about your situation. Please complete this form for me, as it will give me all the information I need to proceed. You will be contacted once your assessment form has been reviewed.
      Best regards,

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.