Can I Extend my TN Visa from within the US rather than at the Border?

I am a veterinarian at an Animal Hospital in Hope Mills, North Carolina. I have a TN visa that expires on July 5th. I recently extended my contract to the end of August and would like to extend my TN visa also. Is it possible for me to do this without crossing the border?  Thank you so much.


TN Visas can be renewed without the need to appear at a Port of Entry or Border. You can apply for your TN from within the US at a Service Center that has jurisdiction over where you are located.  However, you should do so before your TN Visa expires otherwise you run the risk of falling out of US status.  When applying for a TN Visa within the US, you have to complete certain government forms in addition to providing the regular documentation such as a US Job offer, your proof of Canadian citizenship and educational documents etc.

It is important that all paperwork is in perfect order as the immigration officer assessing your case will not have to opportunity to interview you in person as would be the case with a TN border application.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago