5 Minute Guide To Getting an H-1B Visa For Teachers

h1b visa for teachers

The H1-B visa program was created to allow US based organizations to employ foreign based nationals who work in an occupation that requires theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge, and attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree in the specific specialty (or its equivalent). Most professionals qualify for the program including primary, secondary, and university level teachers.

Eligibility Conditions for an H-1B Visa for Teachers

  1. The teacher must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree or it’s foreign equivalent. Regulations permit teachers without a bachelor’s degree to substitute three years of teaching experience as the equivalent of one year of college.
  2. Teachers are required to possess a license to teach for the jurisdiction where they will be working. If they’re unable to obtain this certification before they arrive in the US, they must provide documentation to the immigration board demonstrating that they meet all of the requirements for a license.
  3. The teacher’s potential employer must first apply for and been certified with a Labor Condition Application (LCA) from the Department of Labor.

Teachers who are accepted by the program are admitted to live and work in the US for three years. The H1-B visas can be renewed once, allowing the teacher a maximum of six years. The teacher’s spouse and unmarried children can be issued an H-4 residency visa, Department of Homeland Security visas allow dependent spouses to work in the US.

Only a limited number of H-1B visas are allotted each year- the 2015 quota was limited to 85,000. Due to high demand for H-1B visas the allotment is allocated very quickly- 2015’s quota was exhausted in the first five days after the application process was initiated.

Applying for an H-1B Visa for Teachers

Step 1: The teacher must obtain a colour digital photograph that’s a minimum dimension of 600×600 pixels and a maximum dimension of 1200×1200 pixels. The image must be in the JPEG format, and no less than 240 kilobytes.

Step 2: The teacher needs to complete the H1B Visa application form DS160. The document must be filed out online on the Department of State’s website. When the form is complete the website will issue them a 10-digit barcode- this must be printed out as it will be needed during the interview process in Step 6.

Step 3: The teacher needs to pay the H-1B application fee by bank transfer or in-person at certain recognized banks. The fee is good for one year after payment.

Step 4: The teacher schedules an appointment for a visa interview.

Step 5: The teacher needs to go in-person to a Visa Application centre where they will be fingerprinted

Step 6: The teacher goes to an in-person interview at a local US Consulate.

An Immigration Lawyer Can Help You Apply for an H-1B Visa for Teachers

The immigration application process can be very difficult. These days, the rules and regulations make it increasingly difficult to qualify for an H-1B visa. Therefore, if you’re interested in applying for an H-1B visa for teachers, it is essential that your application is handled properly from start to finish. At Visaplace, we have been in the business long enough to know what to do to increase your chances of success.
To get started, please fill out our free online immigration assessment form today!


Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Lakhvinder Singh Bedi

    Hi. My name is Lakhvinder Singh Bedi. I am presently working as a Vice-principal of a local college in Ludhiana, Punjab and am also the Head of the department of English. I have a teaching experience of more than 25years.I have a PhD degree in English. I wish to work as a teacher of English in a college in US. Kindly guide.

    • Immigration Lawyer (rachel)

      Hi Lakhvinder,

      Thank you for contacting us at VisaPlace! With your academic and work experience, you may be eligible to obtain employment and a visa to work in the US. We would have to take a closer look at your case to best guide you through your options. Hiring an immigration lawyer will help you get answers to all of your questions, plus it will increase the chance of getting a visa approved. Please, complete this form for me http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment/ it is just a quick and easy way for me to learn more details about your situation so that I will be able to advise you accurately and determine the best avenue for us to take to give you the best legal advice.

      The above response is for informational purposes only and does not form a lawyer-client relationship nor should it be construed to be legal advice.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

After initially having a very bad experience with one of their immigration consultants and after posting a negative review on Google I was immediately contacted by the Managing Director to reschedule another consultation to try and provide me with a more positive experience. I have been impressed by their attention to customer service as a result of this and I appreciate the initiative that they have taken to turn my negative experience into a positive one. My second consultation was a great experience, I spoke with Brian about my Canadian PR application and he was able to give me great advice and was extremely helpful. He answered all my questions and explained the process of how to apply and was very patient with me which I really appreciate.

Madhav Kin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musaa month ago

Great firm on top of their game. Worked with us til the end to ensure my parents visa was approved and guided us along the way in a professional manor. Natalie is awesome. Majority of our communications were via email, but the responses were immediate. I would greatly recommend this firm. Thank you for all your hard work and help. My family and I do really appreciate it.

Daxesh Patela month ago